Research notes on transition of farm to Ranums.
1863, August 15
All of section 16 designated "school land" NW ¼ of NE
¼ (40 acres) is the "front" portion of the farm we are
presently familiar with. This 40 was sold to Jacob O. Aarhuus on this
date. (possibly Jacob Olsen Aauhuus then called Jacob Olsen as this is
the name on that 40 on the 1962 plat of Perry. Why is it on the plat before
the recording? Jacob Olson is also shown as owner of the SW ¼ of
section 9 with a dwelling shown in the very center. No house is shown
on the "Ranum 40" on the 1862 plat.
1882, February 7
Jacob Olsen being deceased left all his land to his two children, Simon
Olsen and Jacobina Mathilde Olsen. His widow, Mathia Olsen maintained
dower and homestead rights.
1884, November 19
Jacobina Mathilde Oleson was awarded the NW ¼ of NE ¼ of
section 16(the Ranum 40) and the east 15 acres of the SE ¼ of the
SW ¼ of section 9 in an order of this date. "One of the defendants",
Martha Oleson was granted the west 25 acres of the SE ¼ of the
SW ¼ of section 9 "and other lands" in that same order.
1888, October 25
Jacobine M. Danielson (formerly Jacobine M. Oleson) and her husband Hans
C. sold the ¼ of NE ¼ of section 16(the Ranum 40) to Nels
C, Anderson but maintained a 2 rod easement that ran along the north of
that 40 acres for an access to the 15 acres of the SE ¼ of the
SW ¼ of section 9. (It is my understanding that a house once stood
on this 15 acres just south and east of the well by about 100 or so feet.
It is also possible that a portion of this house was attached to the east
end of the farmhouse as shown on a photo ### and that portion was later
removed from the house and moved due south to create the "wax house".)
1892, November 28
Nels C. Anderson and his wife, Annie sold the "Ranum 40" to
Nels K. Ranum and wife Marit. At that time, there were probably no buildings
on that land as the main dwelling was probably on the 15 acres in section
9 perhaps built by Hans C. and jacobine M. Danielson.
Return to ranumhistory.com